Saturday, June 14, 2008

Solmar

On Thursday we had to go to an eight o'clock ceremony in Tarrytown so we decided to try Solmar, the new Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant. Solmar fits our latest search for neighborhood dining that is affordable and interesting. Located across the street from the Tarrytown Music Hall and next door to Chiboust, Solmar offers a menu that never breaks twenty five dollars.

The only disappointment of the evening was that they do not yet have a liquor license. I learned this the hard way when I ordered a cocktail and was met with an apologetic denial. After ordering soft drinks and waters we took a look at the menu. As we ate warm, crusty bread and contemplated dishes, a tray of cheese and olives were brought to the table.


My mother-in-law had a portobello mushrooms with hearts of palm. She was pleased to discover that it was a warm appetizer, sauteed in garlic and oil. Chrissie had codfish fritters that were served over a small salad. I ordered grilled calamari that were prepared with minced sun dried tomatoes. I discovered that I rather enjoy my sun dried tomatoes finely chopped. It adds the essential flavor and gives an interesting texture, but avoids the overpowering bite I sometimes feel sun dried tomatoes add to a dish when not properly balanced. So far all of the portions were generous and the food was good. The surprise appetizer of the evening was my father-in-law's. His shrimp and mussel soup was excellent and by far the best tasting dish at the table. The perfect amount of spice, acid, and ocean were blended in this tomato based soup. I usually don't order soup, but each time Larry does I enjoy his. I may have to start doing so more often.

Chrissie ordered the feijoada completa for her main course which, according to the menu, is Brazil's national dish. Before the table side presentation of the her pork, sausage, and black bean stew, a tray of accompaniments arrived that included sauteed collard greens, vinaigrette, some sort of grain meal (I wasn't paying close enough attention), and a citrus spread. The stew was delivered to the table in clay pot from which the waiter served Chrissie's initial portion. The covered pot was left table side to keep the second portion warm. Chrissie really liked the dish.

My mother-in-law had the special of the evening, a stuffed chicken. I found that I liked her dish the best. It had an incredible flavor that I was surprised by because it did not look or sound as interesting as it tasted.

I was pleased to find Solmar has grilled sardines as a regular item on their menu. When we went to Spain a few years ago I fell in love with sardines. The restaurant at the beach we went to had a grill set up in the back and the duties of grill tender and parking lot attendant were taken on by a gifted cook who grilled his sardines on stakes standing almost perpendicular to the coals. Five large fish were served with this dish. I'm not sure if the serving size was tremendous or if the lack of alcohol allowed my body to better tell me I'd been sated, but I could not finish the plate.

I usually don't take environmental considerations into mind when eating out, but I wish more places would offer fish lower on the food chain like sardines. So many of the big fish that restaurants serve are being over fished or are farmed and a pale imitation of the wild variation. I imagine it will take the typical American diner some time before he is comfortable with whole fish on his plate that he must fillet to enjoy. When this practice becomes more acceptable a new spectrum of aquatic bounty awaits.

The stuffed sole my father-in-law had was very well executed. I'm not a fan of stuffed sole. I find the stuffing, lemon, and butter make the fish an afterthought. I could tell his dish was properly made, it just wasn't the version that turns me into the guy who orders it next time.

High Points-
  • interesting menu
  • very fair pricing
  • grilled sardines and octopus show that they are not looking to dumb down their cuisine
  • ethnic, neighborhood dining that promises a nice meal and does not pretend to be something greater than it is.
Low Points-
  • no liquor license (but one is in the works)
Will we go back? We will definitely go back. When Chrissie and I were first dating we would go to Caravela and Aquario all the time. Solmar offers a more casual alternative for the flavors that are a foundation of our relationship. Chrissie was the most excited I've seen her about a restaurant in a while. Since Thursday she has been raving about the food, service, and philosophy of Solmar. Next time we're going to a show at the Music Hall, Solmar will be a top contender for pre-theater dining.

Solmar is located at:
12 Main Street
Tarrytown, New York 10591

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited that a restaurant I recommended to you made it on AMHtE! I'm even more excited with the fact that you reviewed it so positively. Nice job with this entry - great writing!

James Groven said...

Stephen-
I'm glad you liked it. You were the first person to tell us about Solmar. I think they've got incredible potential.

I am saddened that you did not tell your friends at A Man Has to Eat that Solmar does not sell booze. We would have had cocktails at home or brought a bottle of wine from the stash.

Keep the fresh ideas coming.

-James

Greg Mercurio said...

Sol Mar
12 Main Street
Tarrytown, NY

This is a new and charming, intimate restaurant. The decor, attention to detail and accommodating service add to a very satisfying menu that is generous in quality. Warm, fresh bread, cheese and olives are complimentary. The appetizers and entrees are presented with quality vegetables, in addition to rice and beans. The very fair pricing with today's skyrocketing costs offers an enjoyable evening of fine dining.

James Groven said...

Greg-

Excellent summary of what Solmar does. Feel free to post suggestions/comments for readers.

I would imagine, based on the traffic the Solmar entry has been getting, that people will be interested in up to date opinions.

Unknown said...

Hi,
Great review that really wants me to go there. That floury side dish you mentioned may be farofa which Brazilians add to rice and beans or feijoada for more sustenance.
Sardines sound delicious !
Cheers
peter

Anonymous said...

went to Solmar last night after finding it on this blog (which is excellent, by the way! thank you!). they still don't have their liquor license, so we went down the street and got a lovely $10 bottle of argentinian malbec. we shared the squid appetizer, i had the sardines and my husband had the steak with garlic. we sat outside on the sidewalk - they have one lone table there and there were several very noisy parties inside. the kitchen was a bit slow, but the food was worth the wait. we will definately go back there. as we chatted with the owner we talked about portuguese food - a genre that we know quite well and love. he suggested that next time we call him before we come, so he can prepare his special bacalao steak on the bone. it's not on the menu, but for real portuguese food lovers, this is a great thing. also on the board for next time, the porco alentaja.... one of our all time favorites. thank you for turning us on to this restaurant.

Anonymous said...

I just found your site after doing a google search on Solmar, and thought it would be a good idea to leave an updated review. My wife and I ate there last night for her birthday, and we thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our dining experience. She had the codfish fritter app and the pork and black been stew, I had the scallop app and the salmon. The bread, sausage, and olives were also excellent. While I didn't see the wine list, we did enjoy their house white by the glass and it was quite good. We'll be back for sure!

Anonymous said...

HELLO TO ALL

UPDATE: They do have their liquor license now.....

Anonymous said...

We had a superb dinner at Solmar last night. The mussels, the steak, the bread, the pasta with shrimp and scallops were all excellent. Service was very professional, though the pace was relaxed. We will be returning soon!

Linda